Saturday, April 29, 2023

Boyette signs with Lees-McRae

Icard- It was an eventful senior year at East Burke for Colton Boyette but it has all led to a college scholarship and to still be involved with a sport at the collegiate level.

Boyette signed his official letter of intent Friday to continue his athletic career with the cheerleading program at Lees-McRae College.

Boyette said his intention at the Banner Elk campus was to study to be a wildlife officer but he started getting interest from the Bobcats cheerleading program.

"I was already going to Lees-McRae and they were interested in me for cheer so I guess I'll add this on too," said Boyette.

Boyette played football and participated in track & field for the Cavaliers until an injury kept him from playing football his senior year.

He was still involved with the East Burke football program as a player coach and, while having a surgery done before football season, was able to cheer for the Cavalier basketball teams.

"It was tough because I was playing football since I was four years old, football was my first love in life. I transitioned into coaching a bit and then took on a bigger role coaching a lot (that season). I was then asked to cheer again my senior year which led to all of this."

Boyette credits his grandfather Robert Gibson for being a big supporter during his years at East Burke with stating he is like a father figure to him.



(Standing: East Burke principal Katie Moore, grandfather Robert Gibson, sister Ally Boyette, East Burke cheerleading coach Sabrina Baker, Lees-McRae cheerleading coaches Maddison Beck & Sally Wimberley, East Burke athletic director Jim Childers)
(Sitting: grandmother Tammy Gibson, Boyette, mother Mandy Norman)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment